Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 9: When You Can't Sleep

 


Sleep deprivation is no joke man. It's really hard. No laughing matter. Although I have found myself laughing at the silly stuff I’ve said and done because of exhaustion. Better to laugh than to cry, I always say. :-) 


And really, the very best way to really cope with exhaustion? Get some sleep. :-) But there are times when that is just not an option, (baby is awake, other kiddos are awake, you've got company, etc.), so I’ve found some things that help get me through until the next cat nap.



Clear Eyes Eye Drops - these are awesome for getting rid of that exhausted scratchy eye feeling. That's the one thing that most often makes me feel exhausted, when my eyes feel like they're going to fall out of my eye sockets. :-) the drops get rid of that feeling. They’ll also clear up any redness and at least contribute to the illusion that you are well rested.



An good undereye concealer - there’s something about looking in the mirror and seeing the dark circles that makes you feel even more exhausted. Also, chances are you are going to be rubbing your eyes more, what with the tiredness and all. So slap on some concealer to help trick your brain. 


Caffeine - I know this is a sticky subject for lots of people, especially if you are nursing. In those first few months I avoided most caffeine simply because I wanted to be able to sleep when Javi was sleeping, and if I was all jazzed up from my coffee that wasn’t going to happen. But once he sorted out his nights and days, I tried a little bit of caffeine at a time (usually some sort of black tea or chai) and after determining that it didn’t keep HIM up, I made it a part of my routine. I won’t always need a cup o’ joe to get through the day, but for this season of my life, I will take advantage of the gift that is caffeine. One note here, a friend of mine with SEVEN kids told me “I’ve always drank however much coffee it took to get me through each day.” :)



Cold Water - for those days and times when caffeine is not an option, a big water bottle filled with cold water is the next best thing. It’s obviously great for you, and it’s also a bit of a shock to your system, so it helps wake you up and get your insides moving. I’m not going to go into all the benefits of drinking lots of water - just trust me, it’s awesome for you.



Fresh Air - Sometimes there’s nothing like a breath of fresh air. And as invigorating and stimulating as the fresh air can be for you, it is often an awesome way to calm down your little one. So bundle up your little one and get some Vitamin D, even if it's just a few minutes worth. 


Hopefully these little tips will help get you through those rough patches! :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment