Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2: Flexibility

 I figured that the first thing we should talk about in this series is Flexibility. Because, seriously, without this, we're sunk. Webster’s defines flexibility this way:



flexibility(n):characterized by a ready capability to adapt to new, different, or changing requirements



The capability of adapting to new requirements. I think that right there is an awesome definition of parenthood. :-) Just when I think we’re settling into a really good place, and I’ve figured out how to deal with my six month old, he starts teething. Just when he starts sleeping (almost!) through the night, he starts throwing tantrums and exerting his will, and challenging me.


It’s when I try to control anything and everything that things get rough. Babies just aren’t rigid and monotonous. They just aren’t. And the sooner you come to terms with that, the easier this all will be. Because, by the way, life isn’t rigid and monotonous, no matter how much you want it to be.


Learn to be flexible. Accept that what is working now may not continue to work next week. Or tomorrow. Try new methods. Think outside the box. Don’t freak out over a missed nap.



Be flexible.



Check out the rest of my series, 31 Days of New Baby Advice!

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer Hale McGinnOctober 2, 2012 at 5:05 AM

    amen! I'm so glad you're doing this series!! I'm also amazed that you are doing this series. I wish I were organized enough to gather all of the amazing, helpful, right-on-time advice I've received in the year+ since we've had Lucy. Oh, and some of the duds, as well. There's always some weirdos out there. I'm looking forward to the next 29 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jen, Javi is taking two long naps a day and sleeping bigger stretches at night now, so my brain is starting to clear. :-) I'd love to hear any advice that comes to your mind over the series. also, I'm thinking that a "dud" day would be really funny! I may just have to include that. :-)

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the new "jenny" signature at the bottom....will keep my eyes on your blog this month and get some good advice stored up!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete