Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 6: Sometimes You Don't Love It

 I can’t tell you how many people asked me in those first few weeks - “don’t you just love every second of it?” I never knew how to answer that question. I usually opted for honesty - “well, I love Javi and am so glad we have him, but no, I don’t love every second of it.” I’m sure there are saintly people out there who love every second of sleeplessness, sore boobs, getting spit up on and screaming babes. I am not a saintly person. And while I was falling more in love with my little babe every day, and we were getting acquainted more and more each day (aha! That cry means he’s gassy!), there were times when things were pretty dark and dismal. And you know what? That’s ok.


One of my favorite quotes is:



“You don’t see the hard days in the photo albums, but those are what get you from one happy picture to the next.”


Do you get the point of that quote? We naturally remember (and record!) the good stuff. No one takes a picture of themselves exhausted with bags under their eyes, dressed in a milk stained robe, changing their baby's diaper because he just soaked himself in his own pee. You get through that, go back to sleep, and take a picture of him the next day with his brilliant smile. 


Don't let people fool you. They had bad days too. You'll have bad days. It's what you do during the bad day that's important. It’s ok to be tired, and be frustrated that the baby is awake again. It’s ok to not like getting covered in warm, regurgitated milk. It’s ok to wish your body didn’t hurt in two dozen different ways.


Focus on the positives - a healthy baby, a wonderful husband, a family (hopefully!) there to help. And grit your teeth and smile and hang in there until you love it again. And you will. I promise. Then take THAT picture. :-) 



Check out the rest of my 31 Day Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment