Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 15: One Day At A Time

Girls, I’ve got one of those weeks ahead of me. I’m busy every day during the day, and as of this morning we have one evening free until Sunday, and that one evening will probably need to be spent on miscellaneous house stuff.


Typically, I only have something on the calendar one or two days a week, during the day. I’m a real homebody, and I like nothing more than waking up in the morning knowing that the whole day stretches before me, full of possibilities, without a schedule to adhere to. But, more often than not, there are a few things on my calendar that I need to plan around.

If I were to sit here and list all of the things that we’ve got going on this week and into the weekend, I might freak out, just a smidge. That whole jam packed week overwhelms me. I have no idea how I’m going to get through the next seven days. I mumble, half-panicked, to God “how will I ever get through this? Please help me survive the next week” Guess what his answer is? No.

Surprised? Let me explain. One of my favorite verses is “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” God always gives us the grace we need to get through the day. But that grace is for TODAY. It doesn’t extend to this coming Thursday. That doesn’t mean that God won’t give me the grace on Thursday to get through Thursday, but it does mean that if I start worrying and stressing about Thursday on Monday, I’m just wasting time. God has equipped me with all of the tools I need today, to get through today. Then I go to sleep, wake up tomorrow, and He will give me the grace I need to get through THAT day.

There’s a verse in Matthew that says “Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.” When I paraphrase this verse in my head, it goes something like this “Stop worrying about tomorrow. You have enough to do today.”
While this has always been true in my life, it has become essential to my daily survival since having Javi. I have to take one day at a time, and learn to stop stressing about the future (or the past!). I need to beg God for the grace and strength and patience to make it through today. I need His wisdom to know how to best take care of and teach Javi today. I need His power shining through me to love him the way in the best way possible. And I am only capable of doing that today. I can’t store any of it up for tomorrow. I can’t “get ahead” on parenting. I have to live each day as it comes, in the best way that I can. When today is over, I lay my head down on my pillow and thank God for getting me through the day. And in the morning, I ask Him to give me the grace I need for the day ahead of me again. One day at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer Hale McGinnOctober 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

    amen, sister.

    I hope your jam-packed week turns out to be a great one! And that you get everything done that really needs to get done.

    ReplyDelete