Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 14: Lay Off Dairy

Psst - the "lay off dairy" is in reference to this bit from Brian Regan, one of my all time favorite comedians. 


 Babies’ tiny stomachs aren’t good at handling dairy in those first few weeks and months. It makes them grumpy and colicky. And a grumpy baby means that those first few hard weeks are even harder. It takes two weeks to a month for dairy to leave your system. So if you are planning on breastfeeding, stop eating dairy a month before the baby is born. Or, minimally, once the baby arrives. So many babies are sensitive to it in the beginning, but quickly outgrow it after a couple of months.


Javi was mildly sensitive to milk, yogurt and strong cheeses through my breastmilk. I went off dairy about two weeks after he was born, and noticed an improvement almost right away. I substituted coconut milk in my cereal, ate baked goods instead of ice cream at night, and did my best to avoid cheese of any kind. It was tricky but a little brainstorming and googling helped me come up with tasty alternatives. 


Is it hard to give up milk, cheese, and, my personal kryptonite, ice cream? You betcha. But the result is a happy and healthy baby who will be in less pain, and an easier time for you. Try it, you won't be dissappointed! 


Here's a link to another blogger who went dairy-free for her babe, the comments section has a lot of links to yummy, dairy-free foods. 


Hope that helps! 


No comments:

Post a Comment