Monday, October 22, 2012

Day 21: Date Night



Those of you with eagle eyes and great attention to detail may have noticed that I didn't post yesterday. There was a reason for that. I mentioned last Monday how we had a busy week coming up, and it was very, very busy. Then we surged right into the weekend where   Lover attended a men's conference while I did another photo shoot (my third one this month!) and held down the fort at home with Monster.  We finally met up again on Saturday around 3:30pm, and had a few quick hours of family time before we dropped Monster off at my aunt's house for the night - and Lover and I were off to date night! We had a great time, but I'll dive into that in a minute. We got home late Saturday, jumped back out of bed early Sunday morning for church, went to a friend's house in the afternoon, and finally arrived home Sunday evening around 5pm, ready to do nothing but chill. So I took my own advice and said "no" to blogging so that we could just relax and enjoy our evening together.

But now, back to date night! We purchased a groupon for a glass-firing class/couples night out which was so fun. It was a four hour long class where we watched demonstrations, made three different projects (on our own!) and had some snacks and drinks.



We've made it a huge priority to have date night every week since Javi was about three weeks old. Thankfully we are blessed with amazing family that watches Javi for us every Thursday, but if we didn't, we'd be tweaking the budget to pay for babysitting because it's just that important to us.

I think during those first few months, date night was more for Lover than for me. Honestly, I was so tired that I wasn't much fun to hang with, but it was important for me to leave Javi with someone else and spend some quality time with my man. I needed him to feel like he was still number one in my life, even if all I could do was sip my coffee and listen to him talk about his day. I would make an extra effort to look nice, let my hair down, and spend a few hours speaking his love languages. It did wonders for us.

Once I started getting a little more sleep, date nights became more fun for me too. Now they're often the highlight of our week, although we rarely do anything fancy. This class was an exception for us! Date Night usually includes a bite to eat and a yummy dessert, and as much talking as we can squeeze into three or four hours. We talk about anything and everything and we have a blast. As a new mom, it's great for me to be able to be "off-duty" for a few hours, Lover gets my undivided attention, and it's wonderful for both of us.

So, I encourage you to make Date Night a priority. It doesn't have to be expensive, it doesn't even have to be weekly, if that's not your thing. Maybe you can swap babysitting with another couple that would like to get out occasionally. Use coupons, groupons and promos to make your meals more affordable. Pack up some sandwiches and a package of cookies if you're really tight on money and go sit at a park and talk (or make-out!). Here's a great discussion on how to make date night affordable over at MoneySavingMom. Make your marriage a priority, even when it's hard. You won't be sorry you did. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment