Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Guest Room Went Gray

I've been toying with the idea of painting an accent wall in the guest room for a while. Painting the wall behind the bed, in my opinion, would make it pop more, and give the room a little more visual impact. I love the crisp black and white theme we went with, but I felt like all white walls was a little boring.:-)



Back in November before some guests were due in town, I finally broke out my free quart of Glidden paint that I had ordered in Pearl Gray, and painted that wall behind the bed. I don't have a picture, but the color, instead of being a barely there, soft gray, ended up being a barely there, soft LAVENDER! Oops. :-) I made a photoshop mockup of the color so you can see how it was NOT the color I was looking for.



But there was no time to repaint before they arrived because, in classic Jenny style, I had decided to paint that room exactly two days before they arrived. :-) Epic fail. :-)

So it stayed that way until Christmas, when my family was coming to visit. And then, in true Jenny form, I decided to repaint that wall.... you guessed it, two days before my family arrived. Thankfully, this time it was the right color. The color I chose was Urban Sunrise by Valspar, and it's a smoky, smooth gray with blue undertones. Which goes perfectly with the stark white and the blues that we have in the room. And it provides the perfect backdrop for the jet black bed and the white comforter. Much, MUCH better. :-)

So here's what the room looks like now. Of course, painting the wall jumpstarted all my creative juices in this room, and now I have a bunch of other ideas again. :-) Lover's gonna kill me.

Not too shabby when you consider that this is what the room looked like three years ago.

Pretty dramatic before and after, right? I am still so proud of this room. :-) It's so pretty. And the sunlight just streams in through that window, so I curl up like a cat on that bed in the afternoons and get my daily dose of Vitamin D. :-)

Next up on the agenda? This pretty little nightstand. It needs a fresh coat of white paint because the top is oh-so-ugly. :-)

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the grey wall really does look so much better than the stark white. I agree--the before and afters of this room are simply stunning. I can't believe you guys took something so ugly and transformed it into something so beautiful. Way to go, creative lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! I like it! The gray looks very close to what we painted the baby's room…I know, not very traditional, but I figure I'm the one who'll be looking at it at all hours of the night, and I just love me a good gray color!!

    I agree with jenna…amazing transformation from the Before shot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - I heard that you went with gray - great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna- I love how much warmer it feels now with the gray :) Thanks for your
    sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I love the grey you chose and the pop of color. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful color! And that room is gorgeous!
    I like the chippy white paint on that nightstand... so don't make it too perfect! It has some fabulously curved legs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a transformation! I love the color so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. […] when this room was a guest room, I painted the wall that the little butterflies are on three times – from white to lavender to a soft gray. […]

    ReplyDelete