Monday, March 21, 2011

A Sewing Machine Project: A Cover!

Last month I mentioned that I finally completed a few sewing projects. One of them was a cover for my sewing machine. I figured since I can be a bit... slow about completing my sewing projects, which, in turn, means that ,y machine sits for a long time collecting dust, a cover was in order. This is project I've been meaning to get around to for, oh, well, forever. :-) I had dreams of making the cover all fitted and proportional, with piping along the edges, and smooth, even seams. And so the machine sat there, cover-less, collecting dust. Finally I decided it was more important to just HAVE a cover than to make it all perfect and time consuming. Here's the finished project.



I simply measured the height, depth and length of the machine, and cut two side pieces and one piece long enough to go from one end, over the top, down the other end. Then I ran two long seams, hemmed the bottom, and voila! A sewing machine cover. Easy. Breezy. Covergirl. :-)



I used some leftover linen I had from my lampshade recovering project. The cover was looking a little plain, so I printed out the word "sew" in a font that I liked, and slid it underneath the front of the cover. Then I held it up to a window and traced the font outline with a pencil. Then I just used a fabric marker to fill it in with light strokes.

I'm hoping it works as a sort of subliminal message reminding me to sew. So far it has worked a little. :-) I'm working on my tree skirt, and a few other little projects. And I am psyching myself up to make a few dresses an skirts. I'll let you know how that goes.

The sewing machine was my mom's. She went to school for fashion design, and this was her first machine. So even though it goes all wonky from time to time, I love that it has a history. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Cute cover! The word 'sew' really makes it--I love that font. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! Love the word on it, too. I agree - it will help remind you to sew.

    ReplyDelete