Friday, March 11, 2011

A Stairwell Changeup

Let's play a game, shall we? Remember those pages in the Highlights magazines when we were kids where you had to look at two pictures and point out the differences? See how many differences you can point out below.  (Other than a better camera angle and lighting)



If you guessed a whole bunch, you were right :-)

We replaced the curtain rod, hung curtains and a small roman shade, painted a chest and put it in the little space there, switched out the light, hung up a meaningful canvas, and added a few decorations. I love how the light streams through those cotton voile curtains and the turquoise jar. So pretty.



If you are one of my stalkers followers, you may remember that I "decorated" this little area a while ago. This is what it looked like.



Yeah, I wasn't feeling it either. :-) Luckily I soon found those white curtains and took down most of those pictures on the walls. Instant class. Do you like that turquoise jar with the forsythia branches in it? This is what it looked like when I bought it for fifty cents at an estate sale.



Blech. But I knew I could make it pretty. I painted it with several coats of turquoise glass paint, and at first I thought I had ruined it. It had a funky texture and a terrible color.

But once everything dried, it got much better. :-) Whew!

And yes, the forsythia branches are fake. Sue me. I live in upstate NY and things don't grow for half the year. :-)

I had been looking for the perfect light for the top of the stairs for a while. I even blogged about it two Christmases ago. But I had strict requirements for this light. It had to be small enough to not knock people in the head, it had to be pretty, it had to be cheap, and Lover had to like it. Those last two meant that it took me two years to find something that worked. :-) But then on one fateful day at Home Depot, I saw this baby clearanced out to $29.00. Score!

So I called up my super hot electrician, and he came over and installed it for me. Don't worry, my electrician and Lover are one and the same. :-) Here he is pointing out the less than stellar "boob" light we had up there before.

One of the things I like best about this light is the little arms above the globe. They add just the right amount of pretty.

So now walking up the stairs makes me smile instead of shudder. :-) Me likey.



 

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Interesting looks fantastic , well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it all! Love the blue and white there and it really brightens up the space more than the past decor. Very springy, too.

    Love the blue glass. I can't believe you made that! You are too darn crafty.

    Oh, and I like the light fixture, too. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim - thanks! I love it too, obviously. :-) The light is from Home Depot.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! All the little touches really brighten up the space!

    ...wait... There is such a thing as blue glass paint?! Where do I find this magical substance? I need it for my collection of ball jars and old bottles!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline - You can buy it at the craft stores. It's usually in the paint
    sections, and will say that it is specifically a glass paint or stain. Have
    fun - the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete