Monday, March 7, 2011

The Glassy Crafty Day :-)

I promised a recap of our crafty, glassy day where I invited a group  of my girlfriends over to play with some crafty stuff with me. There were a bunch of glass projects I have been wanting to try, and this seemed like the perfect time to try out a whole slew of them. And then we also threw in a hair flower craft for good measure, which was a big hit. :-) Here's how it played out:

I went shopping at the Salvation Army and bought up their entire selection of vases, votive holders and pretty glass cups. The lady at the checkout counter HATED me. :-) Although I did help her wrap everything up, which I thought was pretty nice of me.



Then I washed and de-price tagged it all. THAT was fun. :-)

My goal was to experiment with a few different projects - glass painting, glass coating and glass.. enhancing I guess you could call it. For Saturday, I just assembled all of the supplies, as well as a gallery on my laptop of inspiration ideas. Here are some of the crafts we did:


The glass painting (wine glass) was more difficult than I anticipated. The DIY mercury glass (silver votive) was super simple and easy, and the glass coating, (white cup and red vase) was time consuming but simple and fun.


It was a full house, and we had a blast.


I told the girls they could bring their own projects to work on, or do what we had planned. Most elected to do the crafts I had planned.


Not Andrea though. She's a rebel. :)


My sister in law Anna brought her daughter Becca with her. Becca is the sweetest girl I know. My friend Sara brought her daughter Lily, who is definitely the sweetest girl I know. And Andrea (the rebel) brought her daughter Grace, who is for sure the sweetest girl I know. The rest of us gals are daughter-less, so we just brought ourselves. :-) Speaking of sweet, my sis Steph brought these aMAzing cookies, that were scrumptious.


That's not Steph. That's Bekah and Chelsea. They are awesome girls. :-) This is Steph.


(on the right) :-)


Speaking of awesome food, Lover surpassed his usual awesome self and cooked us up an amazing array of treats. This is just a sample of what he made.


SO good. :-)


Gosh, my hair is getting really long. :-)


Grace made an adorable vase with polka dots and her initial on it.


Sara and Lily made mercury vases and hair flowers.


So that's pretty much it. We had a great time and made all sorts of fun stuff. Lover fed us so much we were all stuffed. And Andrea made up for her rebel self by bringing me flowers. :-)


Here are the links to the projects we made.


DIY Mercury Glass


Glass Painting with Markers


Coated Glass Bottles


I couldn't find a link to the type of hair flowers we made, with flannel and tulle, but if you google "hair flowers DIY" you'll get tons of results. All in all it was a super fun time and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Although maybe not right in the middle of a busy weekend with twelve other things on the schedule. My bad. :-)

3 comments:

  1. of course Andrea's knitting! This looks like a fun time…I did something similar back in SC, where we did glass etching and those silky flowers with the melted edges…didn't really get any good photos of the process, though. And wow your hair really IS getting long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so envy that Andrea can knit. for one, it would hurt my hands too much.
    And two, I just don't have the coordination or the mental capability. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun, fun time! The food looks great, and your hair is looking BEAUTIFUL!! It's simply a cascade of fiery gorgeousness, what can I say.

    ReplyDelete