Friday, November 5, 2010

When I have a million hours of free time...

Whenever I get caught up on my current list of fun projects, I am going straight to this post for my next set. Here's what caught my eye this week:

Modern Family Tree




I am obsessed with genealogies and our family tree. I would love to sit down with the grandparents on both sides of the family, and pick their brains for all of the family history they can recall. In a totally non-Sylar-picking your brain kind of way. :-) I love how the tree became three dimensional with the addition of the frames over the vinyl tree. I especially love that Natalie made the vinyl decal herself! Awesomeness!

Canning Jar Soap Dispensers




I'm always a fan of repurposing something, and I also love using pretty glass to hold my liquids (like my makeup remover), so you can imagine how much I love these blue canning jar soap dispensers! They look easy enough too, and how cute would they be beside your bathroom or kitchen sink? Jan even has a few for sale in her Etsy shop, if you don't feel like making your own.

Upcycled Sweater




I shop for all my clothes almost exclusively at thrift stores now. I have so much fun, and I feel like my wardrobe is much more me and eclectic. Sometimes though, there's a certain new trend I like that hasn't made its way to the thrift stores. Sara shows you how to makeover a large men's sweater into a trendy sweater dress! And it's only a couple of seams for all you sewing-phobes. :-)

And now for the grand finale of my finds this week - a faux capiz chandelier!

DIY Capiz Chandelier



Erin spent a little bit of money, and a lot of bit of time :-) to make this super convincing knockoff capiz chandelier. I'm thinking that it would be super easy to adapt this idea for any size light that you might want in your home, and I am specifically considering this for my far-off-in-the-future office.  The "shells" are made out of wax paper - how cool is that?

So that rounds up this week's inspiring projects. And someday when I think "gee, I have nothing to do today!" I will know right where to go for more ideas! :-) Yeah, right, like that day will ever come....

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring my sweater dress- and for visiting my blog. Following you now- can't wait to see more of your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I like that soap dispenser! I have umpteen sinks in this house, and I really want "real" soap dispensers for all of them…and can't find ones that I love. I guess I can keep my eyes peeled for old mason jars now…or maybe just use an old spaghetti sauce jar…hmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like really cool projects. However, when I see DIY stuff like this my first reaction is "oh no! Don't make me do that!", so I am glad there are go-getters in the world like you to balance out the people like me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sarah! :-) I look forward to more of your projects! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for showing my soap pumps! Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout out Sarah. You know, I do these things because I'm so cheap! (;

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for putting my sweater dress features - and to visit my blog. I am pleased it y seize the world as you balance people like me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here, The wall looks awesome. I love your work, And its such a incredible. I love this modern family tree. Its so all the family member in bottom to top.  Thanks for this idea. I implement this idea for my family.

    ReplyDelete