Monday, November 1, 2010

Sewing pillows and other little changes

One of the things I am enjoying these days is being able to make small changes to my home, without having to embark on enormous renovating projects. Because we have the downstairs pretty much the way we want it, when I get the urge to change something up, it is as simple as swapping out throw pillows or creating a new mantel display.


When we went to NYC in the spring, I found a beautiful upholstery fabric that I knew would make the perfect pillows in our living room. I loved the creamy background, and the graduated color of the brown overlay pattern. And although it took me six months to find the time to make them, it was so worth it. Pillows are simple enough to sew, the only complication with these pillows was that I wanted the rope trim around them (kinda complicated sewing) and a zipper in the bottom. Not terribly difficult things, but they definitely made the project time longer.



I found the rope trim and the soft backing fabric at Walmart. Don't forget to check and see if they have what you are looking for, this same trim, purchased for 1.50 a yard at Walmart was 7.99/yd at JoAnns. Thanks Walmart!

I really like how the lighter pillows look against the dark blue couch. And I really like that I made them myself. :-) Here's what the room looked like with the previous stripey pillows:

And now.

We picked up that rug at Lowe's for $30 a few weeks ago, just to have a rug down for the cooler months. It's working out fine so far, until we find the "keeper." Don't you just love little changes?

Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. So, I was just thinking that I hadn't heard anything from you in awhile, went to my google reader to make sure it was working and realized I never changed your link in there. I am SO sorry. I'm back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - no worries! I know you have been busy with your own stuff - mainly a new baby, and all that DRAMA on your blog! Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete