Thursday, April 12, 2012

Nightstand Revamp

 When I moved back to the States a friend of the family gifted me with a set of bedroom furniture – a dresser and a nightstand of lovely honey colored wood, very solid and in great shape.



I was so grateful because I needed everything and all of my money was going towards a car. :)  I used that nightstand for all of my single years, at our apartment, and in our master bedroom of this house up until last summer. You can sort of see it in this picture. 



Last summer I found a set of matching nightstands on Craigslist for a steal, so I scooped them up for the master bedroom. Which meant that I now had an extra nightstand without a home.
At the same time, I was trolling Craigslist for a skinny little nightstand for the guest room. I had the white curvy one in there already, but whoever slept on the opposite side of the bed was both lamp and nightstand-less. So I was on a mission to find a little table for that spot.
You see where this is going, don’t you? :) Yep, I put on my thinking cap and realized that I had the perfect piece sitting in the attic. So I hauled it down to the porch and got started making it over to work in the guest room.



I had a free quart of satin black paint that I used to paint the whole nightstand. Then I used a gallon of white paint we also already had to paint the drawer. It took me an hour or so on a summery afternoon, and I left both pieces outside to dry in the sun.



Then the wind started up and literally threw my drawer and nightstand twenty feet across the porch! So I repainted. :) And let them cure again, this time on a non windy day.



Hobby Lobby has a great selection of interesting knobs, much like Anthropologie but without the ridiculous price tag. I took a drive out there to select the perfect knob for my freshly painted table, and came home with a fun geometric looking one. In black and white of course!



So here is the finished product. Normally it sits nice and straight in the corner, but our bed is currently out on loan so you got the nice and pretty angled shot. :)



I let the paint cure for a million years before setting that lamp on it, so hopefully it will keep its nice painted finish for a long time. I also want to point out what a nice black this paint was. It's really rich and beautiful.  



And while we are talking about this little corner, I found the lamp at Goodwill, put a fresh white shade on it, and also hung up some black and white postcards I bought years ago in Paris. They were just the right touch for this room.



I’ve also gone back and forth for some time now on painting those reddish brown floors white - this IS the black and white guest room after all! And the floors in here are in really bad shape. But that’s a project for another day. Today’s project was the nightstand, and it’s all done! Yay me! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment