Monday, August 8, 2011

The Living Room Today

The most recent pictures I have of the living room are shortly after we finished revamping the room in 2009.  Click on that link to see all the befores- yeesh, this room was a trainwreck. :-) But, as you'll see in the afters, we fixed it up. Everything was nice and clean and freshly painted, and we made do with the furniture we had, making everything look as nice as possible. I still absolutely love the paint color we chose for this room (Oyster by Glidden) and the way we redid the mantel to make the awesome woodwork stand out.

Getting rid of the fluorescent lighting and the cork glued to the walls really did a lot for this space. :0) But, the monstrous loveseat ate up that corner of the room, and there were a few other things I wanted to change up, along with adding some art on that right wall to fancy it up a bit. Here's that same view now, from a few feet back

It definitely feels more open and airy, which is important, because this is a long narrow room, dominated by the mantel at the far end. The scale of the antique loveseat fits that side better, and that cream rocker is moving out of here in the near future, which will lighten things up even more.  The right wall now displays the art I made, along with franchute and the pair of blue chairs.

Lover and I are having a very friendly argument over the height of those frames. He thinks they are a little too low. What do you think? Here's a better picture of that whole side of the room.

The opposite wall still looks pretty similar to when I showed you the new lamps and pillows.  Of course there are the new end tables, and the piano isn't jutting out into that corner anymore. 

I'm thinking about restaining Lover's coffee table. It's gotten a few nicks and scratches over the last five years, and I think a darker stain would help differentiate it from the floors a bit. We'll see.  Okay, now, if you stand with your back to the mantel, this is the view from that side of the room. 

The piano is tucked away, the curtains frame the window nicely, and the light just streams in through that window. I love those huge sliders in the living and dining room.  They let in gobs of light.

So that's the living room today. Cozy, light filled and well used. We spend most evenings in this room. We entertain here, watch movies, work on projects... you name it, we've probably done it in this room. I'm pretty happy with how it looks today. :-)



 

5 comments:

  1. It looks so beautiful! I think the frames are at a perfect height (definitely not too low--though granted I haven't seen it in person). Your living room could be in a magazine--wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, you are too sweet. :-) I am seriously blushing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer Hale McGinnAugust 8, 2011 at 9:57 AM

    it is lovely! and no, the art is not hung too low. One thing I've figured out is people almost always hang art too high…so if you're wondering if it's too high, it probably is…wondering if it's too low? probably not, unless you're banging your head on it when you sit in front of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - Thanks! That's what I tried to tell Luke :-) Two of my biggest pet peeves: art hung sky high, or tiny 4x6 frames all by their lonesome on a huge wall! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - the art is just the right height! Definitely not too low!

    ReplyDelete