Monday, March 17, 2014

On Finding Peace

On any given day, if you were to stop into my house at some point throughout the morning, one or all of the rooms in my house will look like this.


 

There’s a good chance that the baby is babbling away at the top of her lungs, and the toddler is chirping out three word sentences, also at the top of his lungs. “Mommy! Come here!” “No touch! Javi do it!”


 I can pretty much guarantee there are cracker crumbs in places that should not have crumbs. There are smears on the window, and messy dishes on the table and the counters. Odds are I’m wearing not quite clean clothes, and someone’s diaper needs changing.


Just a few years ago, my definition of peace would have been something like “quiet, orderliness, an absence of conflict.  A clean house.” There’s not much of that in the structure of my days right now.


 But God’s been teaching me a different meaning of peace. A new layer of peace, if you will. The kind that comes from within, is constant and steady, and is unruffled by the circumstances around me. Which is a good thing, because this happens often.

 



So I may not have the clean house right now. But most days, I  have peace. Peace that can be defined like this: :

peace: harmony in personal relations

There’s a lot of harmony around here. There’s laughter, giggles, tickles, cuddles on the couch while reading Drummer Hoff for the hundred and sixtieth time.


 There’s a smiling 6 month old who loves to put her hands on your face and stare into your eyes.

There’s a toddler whose most used phrase is “OK!” and whose “I wuv oo!” melts our hearts.

There’s a Lover who is solid and dependable, and silly and romantic. Who still brings me flowers, just because.

It’s hours of conversation with my husband as we plan our future. As we discuss how we will raise our children. As we get to know each other on an even deeper level.

 

That’s peace.


 

peace: freedom from disquieting thoughts or emotions


It’s refusing to allow guilt to dictate my thoughts and actions. My kids watch TV. And eat sugar. And have parents who love them and tell them so every day.


It’s refusing to dwell on the “what ifs?” the dangers that could befall anyone of us, but for the grace of God.

It’s knowing that I am not perfect and that I will make mistakes. Knowing that those who love me love me anyways.

peace: state of tranquility

It’s a peace that gets me through another long day after little sleep. That holds me up when my husband is down for the count with a back injury, on vacation, and I’m caring for the little ones, and packing up the van, and driving the hundreds of miles to get us home.


One of my favorite passages has always been John 14, where Jesus says “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. “

That’s what I want, His peace. The very best kind.

xoxo,

Jenny

1 comment:

  1. 160th time, I honestly doubt that. I've probably read it to him a good 20 times and I'm on the road a lot. You're probably closer to 1000 than you think.

    ReplyDelete