Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Day to say Yes

Last week Lover was out of town for training, for the entire week. To say I was a little terrified of managing everything, along with the kiddos, would be putting it mildly. But then I remembered that I choose to not live in fear, and did much better. I planned out as much as I could (including what to eat for every meal, so I didn't have to think about it again) and also planned in a few activities, since I knew that would both help the time go by faster, and would also be fun for my little social butterfly.



We live less than ten minutes from our local zoo. It's a great zoo, not so big that you are overwhelmed trying to see everything, but not so small that you finish in two minutes and end up bored. When we woke up Wednesday morning and realized that it would be nearly 60 degrees that day, I made a command decision that we would be going to the zoo.



Javi (and I!) needed to do something where he could run and get out his energy, explore to his heart's content, and not hear "no, don't touch/no, leave your sister alone/no, get down from there" all day long. The zoo was the perfect choice.



We explored to our heart's content, howling like wolves, barking at the sea lions, and visiting each and every exhibit.



Javi insists that all birds are chickens, and upon spotting any type of bird, chirps out "cluck CLUCK!" Cracks me up every time.


Our zoo opened an Africa exhibit a few years ago, and this spring two lion cubs were born. They were so adorable, soaking up the sunshine on their big rock and wrestling with each other. I could have watched them for hours.





We ate our sandwiches next to the lion exhibit. Javi is obsessed with these little matchbox cars, and has also recently discovered that he has pockets! At any given point he has between two and four cars in his hands or tucked in his pockets.







I love the fact that this boy has no fear. At the playground there were two ways to get up to the slides: a long set of stairs, or a rock climbing wall. Without skipping a beat this boy muscled his way up the rock wall, and dominated it, if I do say so myself. This is the look of total concentration as he climbs.





I'm so glad that I packed us all up and made the effort. The weather was great, and we had so much fun!

jenny

 

1 comment:

  1. what a fun day! you made it through a whole week on your own AND lived to blog about it! Lucy thinks turkeys say "tweet tweet" … though she's learning "gobble gobble," too…

    ReplyDelete