Monday, March 26, 2012

Fort in a Box

 


One of our nephews had a birthday last month and I was inspired to create a fun little gift that would not add more toy clutter to my sister in law’s house, and would require a little imagination to play with as well.
Since having Javi I am even more aware of how easy it is to buy meaningless junk that will quickly fill up our home, and I am more determined than ever to not have this happen. This in turn is also making me a more sensitive gift giver – I am trying to not clutter up other people’s homes as well!



So for this cute little nephew, turning eight in 2012, I decided to give him a fort in a box. My brothers and I had so much fun building forts when we were little. I’ve even been known to create one or two since reaching “adulthood”. Whatever that is. One of my favorite quotes is:



“We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.”



So yes, I still make forts. And now Sam can make one too! Included in the kit was a large bedsheet, lots of clothespins, a spool of rope, a flashlight (because what fun is a fort without a flashlight?), glowsticks and an army flag.



The flag really made the whole kit. I found it at a Goodwill for a couple of dollars. It was some kind of commemorative flag from Operation Iraqi Freedom, and had a map and all of the military seals on it. It was pretty awesome if I do say so myself.



I boxed the whole thing up in a photo box, wrapped in fun “happy birthday” paper. Sam loved it, and it made me excited for the days when Javi and I will be making our own forts!

No comments:

Post a Comment