Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Robot Pillow :-)

I had a baby shower for a friend of mine on Saturday. Seems like everyone I know is pregnant - which means lots of showers and lots of gifts! I try to buy something off the registry for first time moms because I know they are things they probably really need, but for my friend Kelly I wanted to make something homemade for her little guy too. Kelly and her husband decided to do something a little different for the nursery - robots and bright colors. I thought that sounded like a super fun idea and came up with the idea to make a felt robot pillow to go in the baby's room.



This project was super simple. Hobby Lobby was  having a sale on their 8.5x11 pieces of felt (30 cents each!)  so my total cost for the felt was 1.50. I knew I was going to sew each piece on with embroidery floss, and as luck would have it, I went to a garage sale where the lady was cleaning out her crafting stash. I scored an entire box of embroidery floss for $1. Awesomeness!

I trolled the web for some inspiration pictures, and ended up basically using an Etsy seller's design for the pillow. Don't worry, I may have copied her work but I don't plan on plagiarizing her design for profit. :-)



Anyways, assembly was pretty straightforward. Cut out individual pieces, assemble on background to make sure I liked it, then start sewing. It was pretty fun and therapeutic. And fast. In no time at all I had all the pieces sewn onto the background. Then I sewed another piece of blue felt onto the first one to form a pillow, stuffed it and hand sewed it closed. Easy peasy. And it cost me about $5 to make. Not too shabby! Here's a closeup of  the finished product,



and the fun bin I found to give the pillow and the rest of the gifts.

This little project was so fun that I even whipped up a little initial tag for the bin too! Fun times. :-)

What have you made recently?

3 comments:

  1. Cool!! You are so crafty, and handy, and amazing at making great things for cheap. I remain in awe of your homemaking and decorating and sewing skills (and more than the raw skills, the energy and motivation to do them all!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, Jenny! I love the colors and it really looks professional. What a great gift! I'm sure momma to be loved it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the robot!! I bet Baby T will love it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete