Monday, November 19, 2012

Grateful Banner

You guys, I made a craft! Made it, hung it up and I'm blogging about it in a timely manner! I gave myself an imaginary gold star. :-) On a side note, wouldn't it be amazing if life handed out gold stars the way school did? I'm just sayin. :-) Okay, here's what I made.



Bam. A grateful banner. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. I wanted to decorate a little bit for fall, nothing too crazy but just a little touch. God's been teaching me for a couple of years now the amazing plethora of things I have to be grateful for, and man is it awesome and humbling. As my friend Jenna says, an embarrassment of riches is what I have, friends. Here's how the whole fireplace/mantel area is looking.



I made the banner during a naptime - I painted randomly all over a sheet of watercolor paper, let it dry, and then cut the leaves out of that. Then I used watercolor pencils to draw my letters, filled them in and then painted over them to give them that watercolor effect. I love watercolor pencils. Also, I finished this part after Monster woke up, and he may or may not have eaten a few of my pencils. Oops.



Then, it was hole punching and stringing time (I used simple baker's twine). The whole thing was light enough to hang with scotch tape, but you could also drive some very small nails into the top of the mantel to hang the banner from. A cool mosaic frame from Pier 1 that I added a mirror to and my ceramic pumpkins round out the mantel. Oh, and my fall candle of course! :-)



So there you have it. A fast and easy craft that reminds me to reflect on all of the things I am blessed with in my life. I'm linking this up to Kim's Dare to DIY party. I have no idea if I'll finish every week, but I made it for this partay! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer Hale McGinnNovember 19, 2012 at 5:42 AM

    oh, if only I could be timely…I, too, created a "grateful" banner, AND hung it from my mantel…AND took a photo. But blogging about it, that part has defeated me. Nice work! Looks cozy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out so pretty!  Love the dreamy look of watercolors, but the precision of water color pencils makes it sound so easy!... may have to break mine out from the back of the closet!  Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! Your whole mantel looks gorgeous. And the banner is so fun! The watercolor leaves are perfect, love 'em. Great job, and thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete