Monday, March 22, 2010

Makeup Remover on the Cheap

Didya know that you can use baby oil as an eye makeup remover? Yeah, I didn't either. I came across that little factoid a few months ago, (magazine? blog?) and a light bulb went off. I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I do always wear mascara, and waterproof stuff at that. It's always a bear to take off, and that makeup remover stuff is expensive. The best I had found was the Almay pads, and I would buy them at BJs in a double pack for about six dollars. Two packs would last me about two months.

So when I came across this little tip I was all over it. A bottle of baby oil is under two dollars at Walmart, especially if you buy non-brand.



I've been using the stuff for the last few months, and I have to say, I love it. It has the sweetest scent, and works like a charm. I find it works best if I wipe it over my eyes with a cotton ball, then brush my teeth, then go back and swipe my lashes again. Now, it is oily, obviously, but I have combination skin, and I've found that the skin around my eyes is a lot softer since I started using this. And all the oiliness comes off when I wash my face, so everything is copacetic.



Oh, but you know I couldn't leave that ugly bottle sitting around my sink, right? Well, a trip to Goodwill provided a cut glass decanter that I promptly filled with oil. Obviously, you might not want to do this with kiddos around, but you could also put the oil in a soap dispenser, and then just pump a few squirts onto a cotton ball.





So that's my easy breezy beauty secret that saves me a lot of moolah. I'm all about finding deals on the stuff that keeps me beautiful, so if you've got any awesomely frugal ideas I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

  1. what a great tip! i love the makeup removing cloths, but i'm with you - those suckers are expensive! but boy are they convenient...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip. Lotion works, too. Just make sure it's not something that will burn your eyes. I use a really simple lotion from CVS, but I may just have to try Baby Oil, now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU for your tip on my curtain question on Young House Love blog! I am going to be checking your blog out...LOVE all of these decorating blogs!

    ReplyDelete